Friday, May 30, 2014

Anniversary Goals

This Sunday, Kevin and I will celebrate two years of marriage and the beginning of our third year. That's just crazy to think about but so sweet to think about. Marriage has been a wonderful ride thus far. I'd say our second year was a little more difficult than our first. We had lots of changes in our lives, had to work through some more arguments, and continue figuring out parenting Paisley Grace (our dog). We worked through them all and ultimately grew closer together, strengthening our relationship. God is good yall. His grace is what carries us through. His sweet hand resting on our hearts, protecting us and guiding us is what keeps us strong. Leaning into His power and might has made us stronger than ever.

I'm so thankful the Lord gave me this amazing man to spend my life with. Thank you Jesus! 


Last year, while we sat in the hotel room one evening we decided to talk through some things we felt went well in our first year and areas we need to work in and goals for our second year of marriage. Our goals were a collection of fun things, personal desires, and just some ways to continually put emphasis on our relationship.

Let's see how we did! 

Veronica wants to make a wedding scrapbook.
Well I did and didn't fulfill this. I decided to ditch the scrapbook plan for a more simpler assembled book through Artifact Uprising (love them!). I got through our getting ready pictures and all the portrait pictures but that's it...and that's book 1. I ordered it this week. 

Save up for our second anniversary cruise.
We were really hoping to have taken a cruise this year. But as things came closer together and we added things up, and those who were going to join us changed...we opted to leave the cruise idea behind and like I mentioned Wednesday...we're going to VIRGINIA instead! 

Veronica wants to work on praying for Kevin in specific ways.
I bought the Power of the Praying Wife book and per my goals for this year, I've been continually reading through it in the mornings with my quiet times. I love it! I'm 8 chapters away from finishing now. Definitely would encourage any wife to read it.

Continue celebrating monthiversaries.
We really like acknowledging every month together. We did this when we dated and carried it into marriage. This year was more difficult to continue. My studying took up nearly all my time and all my brain power too. I'm hoping we can step back into this tradition. We basically do something small on the first of each month. Watch a movie together, get take-out, go on a walk, etc. It's not a big and fancy date night, just time for the two of us to spend intimate time together one way or another. Kevin always writes me a note too, like this one, and I will say that he's done very well at keeping that going through this year. 

Incorporate the traveling journal idea.
I saw this on a blow somewhere around this time last year. We didn't end up incorporating this. We're really communicative throughout our work days, constantly chatting on skype or gmail hangouts and through emails sometimes too...so I'm not sure we'll consider this idea again. It's a fun thought though.

Incorporate the five questions on Sundays.
Those five questions are from the Today's Letters blog. When we got engaged we began a prayer journal together. We wrote prayers of requests, thankgiving, praise, etc each Sunday evening after chapter( we were still in college and I had Phi Lamb chapter on Sunday evenings). We continued that into our marriage so we decided we'd just add the questions into that time. We've really enjoyed this new tradition but we've not been excellent at keeping it going. Studying, it's always studying's fault.

Bake the Pioneer Woman's Cinnamon Rolls.
I just wanted to give this a try since it seemed rather involved. Again, studying took over. SO I made them this past weekend! Nothing like last minute...haha. Well they were fun to make and tasted excellent! I see trying it again someday in the future. Recipe here.

Create a digital food passport.
Another idea that I saw on Pinterest...only it was a book and they hand wrote places they wanted to try. We made ours a list on Kevin's phone. We haven't really referenced it much but we have been more creative in trying out new restaurants when we have gone out to eat.

Frame our marriage covenant.
I was going to get it custom framed but holy moly those custom frames are wildly expensive even with a 60% off coupon. Geesh. I wandered around Michaels until I finally found a frame on clearance that would work perfectly. $10 versus $190? Yes please. Our original covenant didn't fit quite right so then I had to re-print it, and long story short after 4 trips to the copy place I finally got the right size! And yes, all of this happened this weekend as well. It's up on our wall and I'm looking at it right now. We love it. 

Kevin wants to make time for some video editing.
And he did. He made the Paisley video and the May tornado from last year video and a few other little projects. Go Kevin!



From Here:

To Here:

Then HERE:

And last year, here:



I've already begun thinking about what goals I want to set for our third year. What kind of fun or sweet things have you incorporated into you marriage?


Anniversary pictures with our favorite tomorrow! Can't wait!


post signature


3 comments:

  1. I love that you had a list of things, a great way to keep sort of accountable! Wishing you two all God's blessings and goodness as you start your THIRD year married! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think looking back at goals from last year really helps you see how much your life has changed in the time in between. Happy Anniversary to you two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous that you guys do anniversary pictures each year. Adam isn't really that into photos but maybe for our 5 year coming up in October I can convince him. :) What did you think of PW's cinnamon rolls? Is your marriage covenant hanging in your living room? I think I saw it on my way out the other night and read it (I hope you don't mind!) I thought that was so awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my lovely readers! Thanks for stopping by and I'll get back to each and every one of you as best I can. Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover